I’ve been sitting still too much.
Well, not really. I just spent 6 days in Las Vegas, but that’s not blog-friendly. I might post about the flights and hotels at another time, but that’s not all that exciting. It’s time to count some countries, and that’s just what I’m planning on doing shortly. I was inspired by the FlyerTalk thread on the cheap Delta fares to Georgetown, Guyana. Didn’t really work for me (especially since I don’t “do” Delta, and it’s a redeye to boot) but I found a great American fare to rack up some EQP, so booking done, it’s time to plan!
Originally, I wanted to get to Georgetown, Guyana. That’s easy enough. But I don’t do one country in a trip, not when there’s another right next door. I could have bought a round-trip ticket to Suriname, but the times were inconvenient, and I was curious about doing it overland on a combo of bus and ferry. Get out of the city, and see a little bit of the “real” country. Only one problem….Suriname? Only way out by plane is back to Guyana, or to Amsterdam. No thanks….so keep going east overland to French Guiana. Not really a “country” but definitely distinct and interesting….and a way out that wasn’t Paris….Martinique. That figured out, the route was cast:
So in brief, the plan is:
1) Fly to Trinidad, and connect 3 hours later to Guyana, arriving at 2am
2) Sidetrip to Kaieteur Falls – one of the world’s most amazing waterfalls – on a tiny single engine prop
3) Overland by bus/ferry to Paramaribo, Suriname
4) Hang out in Suriname
5) Overland by bus/ferry to Cayenne, French Guinana
6) Hanging out in French Guiana, and hopefully seeing the Guiana European Space Centre
7) Cayenne to Fort-de-France, Martinique
8) Exploring Martinique
9) Martinique – St Lucia – Port of Spain, and a night in Trinidad
10) Trinidad to DC on American again
I have 9 days, so plenty of time for this trip…but alas, it’s not much planned yet. Kinda winging it as I go. Only place I need a visa is Suriname, so better get on that one! Also, it looks like a yellow fever and malaria hot zone, so better get hopping on that too! Lots to plan, not much time to do it! Recommendations welcome, it’s under two weeks to go….